Admission and Enrollment
Do you meet all requirements?
Do you have a topic and a commitment from your supervisor and/or the supervisory committee? Then you can now apply to pursue doctoral studies.
Be aware that admission to doctoral studies and enrollment are 2 separate procedures. Admission to doctoral studies must be submitted via the online tool Docata. The application for enrollment must be submitted via STiNE after you are admitted.
How can I be admitted to doctoral studies?
Admission to doctoral studies proceeds through the doctoral committee in the Faculty of Humanities. To apply for admission to doctoral studies, you must register in Docata - the online tool for doctoral studies at UHH - and submit the application for admission to doctoral studies.
Upload the following documents as PDF files of sufficient quality and max. 10 MB file size when applying in Docata:
- certified copies of all prior university degrees (alternatively: copies of degrees and simultaneous submission of originals; for certificates in languages other than German or English, you must submit an official, certified German or English translation)
- proof of sufficient language proficiency, if required.
- for admission pursuant to Section 3 subsection 3, a print-out from Anabin, which evaluates your degree (no Anabin print-out necessary if you attach a Bologna Accord Diploma Supplement)
- tabular CV, including a list of publications, where appropriate
- exposé (description of objectives and methods for the dissertation project) including timetable and work plan
- for independent doctoral studies: supervisory commitment from a university professor and/or member of the Faculty of Humanities with a Habilitation who represents the subject in question
- for a structured doctoral program (graduate school): supervisory commitment from 2 suitable people
- if the subject area in question does not correspond to your degree: statement as to whether the degree program is “relevant” and/or “provides the necessary qualifications”.
The application for admission to doctoral studies can be submitted at any time. If your application was successful, you will receive an acceptance letter. This effectively makes you a doctoral researcher at the Faculty of Humanities.
After you are admitted, you need to conclude a supervisory agreement with your supervisor (PDF agreement for individual supervision) and/or with the members of your supervision committee within the framework of a graduate school (PDF agreement with the supervision committee). A copy of the agreement must be uploaded to Docata in PDF format. You can find the upload button on your home page in Docata.
The duration of the supervisory agreement depends upon the timetable you submit and may not exceed 36 months. Make sure you apply in good time for a completion extension via Docata if you cannot complete your dissertation within this time frame.
Do I need to enroll?
Yes. As a doctoral researcher at Universität Hamburg, you must enroll regardless of whether you are pursuing independent doctoral studies or attending a structured doctoral program. You will be notified of the enrollment deadline in your acceptance letter. Enrollment must be done through the Campus Center. If you do not enroll, you forfeit your admission to the doctoral procedure.
After you enroll, inform the Faculty of Humanities’ doctoral studies office and submit your proof of enrollment there.